If you’re facing roofing issues, you might be able to avoid a full roof replacement by opting for a roof repair. For those with flat roofs, this could even be a DIY project, requiring a sheet of rubber membrane and roofing cement.
However, if your roof is high or has a steep slope, it’s advisable to call a roofing contractor due to the potential risks involved. One challenge is that not all roofers are willing to perform patches.
For them, bringing a ladder to your location and climbing up to your roof might not be worth their time. They are earning more if they take larger roofing projects like replacements or installations. If you do find someone willing to take on the task, be prepared to pay a service fee, and potentially more for the actual repair work.
Roof leaks typically occur around the flashing or another detail rather than across the roof’s wider expanse.
Ensure that the repair job is done correctly/ Have the old roofing cement or tar removed and replacing the damaged section of shingles or flashing. Simply applying additional tar or placing a water shield over the problem won’t suffice. It’s essential to fix the leak rather than letting it persist through another season.
Finding the Right Roofing Contractor
As with any home repair, there are things you need to do when hiring a pro.
- it’s crucial to vet your roofing contractor thoroughly.
- This is especially important for roofing jobs since homeowners may not easily determine if the work was done correctly.
- Seek recommendations from neighbours or friends and check online ratings.
- Ask for proof of insurance before scheduling an estimate.
- If a contractor can’t provide this, it’s a red flag, and you should consider other options.
Consider the Costs of Roof Repair
Roofing costs can vary significantly based on several factors, including the following:
- roof slope
- slope degree
- home height
- required details, whether a complete tear-off is necessary
- any ancillary work like asbestos removal.
While it may seem cost-effective to install new materials over the existing roof, it’s important to note that most roofers in Greenville SC do not recommend it, as it can lead to structural issues.
For many homeowners, the appearance of the finished roof is a crucial consideration. Your roof contributes significantly to your home’s curb appeal. Light-colored materials can help keep your roof cooler by reflecting rather than absorbing sunlight.
Getting Ready for the Job
Once you’ve obtained estimates, chosen your materials, and selected a roofing contractor in Greenville SC, there are still some preparations to make.
- Protect any furniture or valuable items stored in your attic from falling debris when the old roof is removed and underlayment is hammered.
- Plan to be out of your home while the roofing contractor is at work, as putting nets on doors and windows may restrict your access.
Ready to address your roofing needs? Contact KM Roof and Home Repair for top-notch roof installation, roof repair, or roof replacement services.
Like our Facebook page for more information about our services.